Monday, March 20, 2006

I'm too Sexy for...

I went to a birthday celebration this weekend and as it usually goes, we were all sitting around talking. The subject of sexiness came up. A friend of mine said, "we're all sexy, but..." I've forgotten what followed the but, however, her preceding words resonated with me for while. As I was making the drive to work this morning I started to contemplate the word sexy and what it meant to me.

Up until a few months ago, I've considered myself a sexy beast. I'm many pounds overweight and I have a pie-shaped face, so one may be thrown a little off guard if they read this. The thing is, thanks to a number of factors, I've grown to regard myself as sexy even though I don't fit the stereotypical image of what sexy is. Plenty of people equate sexiness with fineness. I am no such person. I believe that sexy has nothing to do with physical appearance and everything to do with attitude. That's not to say that you can't have both. I have an amazing badunkadunk so I think that definitely increases my physical.

Well, I had an epiphany about sexy driving my car in to work. The thing that I find the sexiest about myself is my independence. I love the feeling of being self-sufficient and knowing that I am responsible for me and I should hold that to no one else.

Recently, due to Hurricane Katrina, I have been staying with my mom after living on my own for about eight years. During that time, I completed my Master's and am currently raising my son with little to no financial assistance from SA.

I go through all of that to say this: We are what we choose to be and we are only bound by what our limitations are. People who brag on themselves are often accused of being really insecure. However, we often tell people who have self-esteem problems to tell themselves what they want to be and in their mind they become that and eventually other people will see that. Maybe they are just telling others as practice for themselves. It goes along with the phrase: " I think therefore I am", except it's "I say therefore I become"

In my mind (shoutout to Heather Headley), I am on a sexy hiatus because the thing that I value the most is on hiatus also. So, there you go.

Just Throwing It Out to The Universe

No comments: